The raised bed between my two gabion walls is to be redesigned. In future, the plants will be watered automatically. I install an automatic irrigation system for this purpose. This time the whole thing is to be realized with a drip hose.
Solenoid valves from Hunter ensure automatic control of irrigation via my irrigation computer. The water supply for the automatic irrigation system is via a 25 mm PE pipe.
Installing a drip tube in the gabion raised bed
I have already built the gabion wall in the past few weeks and the water distributor has also been installed and tested. Now the drip pipe is laid and the slope is finally secured with a honeycomb fleece.
The RainBird drip tube has a small opening every 30 cm from which the water drips. Special copper plates at the openings prevent roots from growing in. To make it easier to lay the pipe, I placed it in the sun for a few hours beforehand.
When laying, I make sure to use generous bends and try to avoid using connectors.
I lay the drip tube in 4 rows above and below the plants. I also fixed the connections at the T-pieces with cable ties. This is to prevent it from tearing apart – after all, there is 4 bar water pressure on the pipe.
Unlike a perl hose, the drip tube is designed for this and does not require a pressure reducer as I can adjust the water flow on my Hunter solenoid valve.
After the drip pipe has been laid out and the holes have been fixed in the correct positions with ground anchors, another test is carried out. To do this, I let the system run for a good 45 minutes. The result can be
- Unterirdische XfS Dripline mit Copper ShieldTM-Technologie
- Unterirdisches Tropfrohr XfS mit Copper Shield von Rain Bird zur unterirdischen Tropfbewässerung ist die jüngste Innovation in der Rain Bird dripline-familie. Rain Birds zum Patent angemeldete Copper Shield- Technologie schützt den Tropfer vor Wurzeleinwüchsen. damit entsteht ein langlebiges und wa r tungsarmes unterirdisches Tropfbewässerungssystem zur Verwendung unter Rasen - oder Strauchflächen und Bodendeckern
- das unterirdische Tropfrohr XfS mit Copper Shield ist das flexibelste Tropfrohr in der Branche und damit das am einfachsten zu planende und installierende unterirdische Tropfrohr.
- Mit ihnen können Rain Bird Lock Type- Anschlussstücke, selbsthaltende Xff dripline Anschlussstücke und andere selbsthaltende 17-mm-Anschlussstücke verwendet werden.
Video – Automatic irrigation in the gabion raised bed
This video focuses on the installation of the automatic irrigation system for the raised bed. However, slope stabilization with gabions and in particular the installation of the honeycomb fleece are also well explained in the following video.
Weed protection fleece and honeycomb fleece for slope stabilization
I then laid out the weed protection fleece. The fleece is intended to prevent unwanted plants from spreading on the raised bed. The fleece is water-permeable, but reliably prevents plants and roots from growing through it.
I then laid the honeycomb fleece on top of this fleece. The honeycomb fleece is made of a type of felt and could only be cut to size with robust scissors. On delivery, the fleece was 10 x 1 meter in size.
I first fixed the honeycomb fleece to the slope with ground anchors. I then filled it with granite gravel. Only the area around the plants in the raised bed was left free.
The stone filling increases the stability in the honeycombs enormously. It would even be possible to drive a 2-ton car on it without deforming the surface. Nevertheless, I left the ground anchors in the fleece.
- Größe der Zelle: 10 x 10 cm – Hohe geocelda: 5 cm
- Wie geocelda Extended: 1 m (Breite) x 10 m (lang) gesamt geocelda verlängert: 10 m²
- Material: 100% PP Geotex 270 GM2 – Farbe grau
- Wenn Sie wählen Sie die Nummer 1 im Warenkorb wird kaufen 10 m², wenn Sie sich für 20. Februar M2
- Nicht empfohlen für die Superior Steigungen bis 15% für die Fahrzeuge, die verbringen. Weil sie normalerweise eine Rad und heben Sie das Produkt.
Granite stones as top layer
A final layer of laid granite stones stabilizes the fleece and provides a visual finish. In this way, the slope is protected against further slipping and at the same time forms a visual highlight in the entrance area.
Over the course of the year, I planted various succulents between the granite stones. These plants are extremely undemanding and yet provide beautiful accents in the raised bed.
We have already spotted some lizards and dragonflies in the raised bed and between the stones of the gabions. An insect hotel in the immediate vicinity provides additional life in the rock garden. Bees are also constantly present.
Price: € 4.74
Price: € 75.80
Price: € 95.56
Thanks to the better climate in the stone bed, the plants grow much better than in previous years. The flowering period of the individual plants has also been extended.
I was also able to cultivate cacti on the raised bed this year. After just a few weeks, the plants were rooted in the soil. Shortly afterwards, the first flowers appeared.
New leaves also grew within a very short time.