I’ve been using a robot lawn mower to maintain the lawn in my garden for a few years now. The Gardena Sileno runs twice a week and mows my lawn neatly to the desired height.
Why does the robot lawn mower need a garage?
The robot lawn mower spends the gardening season from spring to fall outdoors in the garden. During this time, it performs its task diligently and is relentlessly exposed to the weather and the sun.
All the garden robots I know of have a plastic outer skin. As solar radiation has a fundamental effect on the composition and consistency of the plastic, the plastic is usually specially treated. UV-resistant is a term that is often used in this context.
Without this treatment, the plastic would fade considerably in the sun and become brittle. The protective cover would tear and break more quickly in the event of collisions.
The chemical industry has already achieved a great deal in modern times and has significantly increased UV resistance. Nevertheless, I notice some fading on my robot. You can see this clearly if you place a new appliance next to the old robot.
To reduce the amount of sunlight that affects the robot to a necessary minimum, it is advisable to park the robot lawn mower in a protective garage.
Another reason for a garage is protection from the weather. In principle, such a garden tool should be waterproof, or at least splash-proof. Nevertheless, this does little to protect against heavy rain and hail. Both can cause damage to the robot.
- Full connect: Intuitive Gardena Bluetooth App (Online Registrierung erforderlich) für einfache Installation und leichte Bedienung: Der SILENO minimo lässt sich aus bis zu 10m Entfernung bedienen
- Pro-silent: Mit nur 57 db(A) der Leiseste seiner Klasse und stört somit niemanden wenn er mäht
- AI-precise: Erfahrener Navigator, der selbst enge Passagen sowie schmale Ecken dank der CorridorCut-Funktion bewältigt
- Auto Weather & Terrain: Arbeitet bei jedem Wetter, auch bei Regen, und in schwierigem Terrain. Zudem ist er mit dem Schlauch abwaschbar und somit sehr einfach zu reinigen
- Lieferumfang enthält: SILENO minimo, Ladestation, 150m Begrenzungskabel, 150 x Haken, 4 x Verbinder, 5 x Anschlussklemmen, Sprache der Bedienungsanleitung: deutsch
Build or buy your own lawn robot garage?
The market has long recognized the need for special robot garages. And so it is not surprising that the major manufacturers offer suitable garages for their robots.
The selection ranges from simple shelters to small “villas”. Even lighting or an automatic roller shutter door on the robot garage are no longer a rarity these days.
Of course, the manufacturers pay well for their products. Personally, however, I have my doubts about some of the pricing policies, as I simply don’t see the value for money.
On the other hand, it is of course possible to build a garage completely yourself. Finally, the 3 side walls are screwed together with a roof. A door is installed at the front – and that’s it.
During my research, I saw a large number of self-built garages. Sometimes they were small transport crates with foil stapled to the top and sometimes they were realistic miniature constructions of real villas.
There are no limits to the imagination and the possibilities. But the keen craftsman needs the right material and the right tools to build an individual robot garage.
Price: € 54.69
Assemble the garage kit yourself
I have opted for a compromise between the two worlds. A kit that you can easily assemble yourself.
The kit I used has now also been in use for several years – and defies all environmental influences. Neither sun nor rain have caused any damage.
Unfortunately, however, a 30-meter-high booking fell onto the garage some time ago and completely destroyed it. Of course, the garage was no match for this mass. However, I immediately ordered the same model again and set it up.
The kit consists of the 3 side walls, 2 gable walls and 2 roof areas. A layer of roofing felt is stapled onto the roof surfaces. The wood is a softwood. It is therefore relatively soft and easy to work with. Nevertheless, there have been no signs of weather damage so far.
The side panels are connected to each other with screws – the holes for this were already pre-drilled. The roof and the gable walls are also screwed together and then placed on the substructure.
- Unterstand für Rasenmäher-Roboter
- hergestellt aus Holz mit Teerpappe auf dem Dach
- eine breite Einfahrt ermöglicht leichten Zugang zur Ladestation
- einfacher Aufbau mit vormontierten Teilen
- Abmessung: 84 x 78 x 60 cm (L x B x H), Einfahrtshöhe: ca. 35 cm
Video – Assembly and test of my robot garage
I filmed the assembly and the first test of my garage and put a video online in my playlist for the robot lawn mower.
In this video“Build your own garage for robotic lawnmowers” you can see the model up close.
If you want to see more of me and my projects, feel free to check out my YouTube channel.
Long-term experience with the wooden garage
As I wrote above, I have been using this model for several years now. The garage is in the garden all year round and has not suffered any damage from sun, rain or wind.
However, I recommend that you position the garage in such a way that the moisture from the rain is quickly drained away. If the soft coniferous wood stands in water for too long, it will probably swell.
I have therefore covered the entire area of my robotic lawnmower parking lot with honeycomb panels to create a good drainage layer.
I also use the honeycomb panels to avoid ruts and other damage caused by the robot’s wheels.
- Solide Konstruktion für mehr Schutz: Die Gardena Garage für Mähroboter wird aus stabilem Kunststoff hergestellt und ist somit robust
- Witterungsschutz: Der Rasenroboter und die Ladestation sind durch die Garage vor Sonneneinstrahlung und Regen geschützt, was eine längere Lebensdauer verspricht
- Gewissenhafter Stellplatz: Der Mähroboter kann problemlos einfahren und es bleibt trotzdem ausreichend Platz für seine Luftzirkulation
- Praktisches Überdachungssystem: Das aufklappbare Dach ermöglicht einen schnellen Zugriff auf Ihren Mähroboter
- Lieferumfang beinhaltet: 1x Gardena Garage für Mähroboter, 6x Befestigungsschrauben